The Art of War Modification Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can I help TAOW get off the ground?

+2
Snake
Jarhead
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How can I help TAOW get off the ground? Empty How can I help TAOW get off the ground?

Post  Jarhead Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:40 pm

I'm not so interested with whats new, I am more interested with what you guys don't have yet. How far along are you guys (est.)? How can I help speed up the process?) {do you want me to find modders? Unit ideas? Hell at this point I'm ready to start learning how to mod.} Tell me what you need.
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

How can I help TAOW get off the ground? Empty Re: How can I help TAOW get off the ground?

Post  Snake Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:02 pm

WOW sunny , that's really nice of you to help us, we're really appreciated Cool

In fact, if you don't mind, I'm turning this interesting topic to a "Sticky" status, ok Jarhead?

At this point it's kind of hard to determine the status of the mod on a percentage scale, besides modeling and coding, we are beginning to start with Voice Acting to some units (big time) and some specific trailer projects.

We could definitely use this thread to ask our fellow Forum Members for some specific requirements like specific voice acting on other languages, help with some particularly difficult models and even where people could probably send their specific models like buildings and other interesting map-addons (which are always interesting for inclusion in the TAOW-Enhanced Worldbuilder).

In addition, we will start to make some larger "Modeling Projects", specially for larger units such as Aircraft Carriers and we would definitely like to have some "Naval-interested" modelers on this one sunny
Snake
Snake
General of the Army [Administrator]

Back to top Go down

How can I help TAOW get off the ground? Empty Re: How can I help TAOW get off the ground?

Post  James100 Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:04 pm

Hey Guys ChadaFace Is One Of Our Members
and he's a modeler
James100
James100
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Before we start to ask people to help us speeding up the modeling process we have to make a list of requirements first, me and Marc will need to discuss it (specially since we have many of the models we'll ever need) and also the models are usually put through a very rigorous selection process (on the poly/segment level and also based on realism) and are consequently fully enhanced after being included in game.

Remember: speed is enemy of perfection, even though we can definitely ask people to help us with models since the current technical team is, well... small Laughing
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  James100 Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:26 pm

LOL Yeah...
there is a lot of modelers and skinners i know in Moddb
James100
James100
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Moddb haves many good people who like to help mod projects (fortunately), some people have contacted me and asked to create a TAOW Moddb-based forum (so we can get in direct contact with more people in the site), I was thinking we can probably do it after we move to Filefront.
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  James100 Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:35 pm

Man We Can Move in right now
but do you guys wanna do it ( so you can make everythin at yer taste)
or should i do it?
James100
James100
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Well, me and Marc were planning to apply for Filefront shortly after we release the Second Mega Update (so we'll have more material to show right away thus increasing our chances of acceptation).
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  James100 Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Great Idea! Thumbs Up!
James100
James100
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:29 pm

Now were cookin with butter!
Board size & specifications would help
Units yet to be created/modeled can
Coding problems
A general funk in the grand scheme of the games premise, progression or scope.

Let's show some people what TAOW is about baby!!!
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

How can I help TAOW get off the ground? Empty Whatever we can do.

Post  Jarhead Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:34 am

Snake, you and Marc are the grandpapies of this whole thing and I agree, any unit put into this game should pass both of your guys keen inspection before being added to any file of this gem of a game. You guys have done so much work and done it really, really well from what I can see, honestly I'm proud you guys had the courage to take on something like this. I think this game is what everybody wanted from the start when they bought generals or zerohour, but instead they got toxin tractors and a bunch of other weapons that don't exist. I've only been around for maybe a month and you guys got me sucked into this thing with just what I've seen. Have a contest. Set perameters/scale, maybe give some ideas for people to try and after reviewing the said works choose if you guys want to keep em or not. Reskin'em if necessary. Me I'm goin nuts over here<--printed out worldbuilder tutorial!!! (you guys might just be a bad influence)
I found a guy who might be interested in helping. He's been at Purdue University going on ten years now Math/Computer Science, he's no joke. Give me some mediocre tasks and I'll see if I can't get him to whip something up.
One thing is for sure, when this mod does finally come out there will be alot of people mysteriously missing school!
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Tusker2Zero Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:47 am

Jarhead wrote:Snake, you and Marc are the grandpapies of this whole thing and I agree, any unit put into this game should pass both of your guys keen inspection before being added to any file of this gem of a game. You guys have done so much work and done it really, really well from what I can see, honestly I'm proud you guys had the courage to take on something like this. I think this game is what everybody wanted from the start when they bought generals or zerohour, but instead they got toxin tractors and a bunch of other weapons that don't exist. I've only been around for maybe a month and you guys got me sucked into this thing with just what I've seen. ...

I agree whole heartedly. fighting smileys

When I bought Generals/Zero Hour I was looking for a realistic modern type of strategic war game, and looking for a great mostly realistic type of mod to go with it that would add many of the modern weapons that ZH left out. Especially, the Navy ships. Being the fact that my mother was in the Navy and my Dad was a Marine, well the Navys in my blood. lol

So, the way this mod sounds, It appears like I've found a new home with this mod.

When it comes time for beta testing, give me a holler. I'd be honored to test it out, and get a head start on making maps for the mod.
Tusker2Zero
Tusker2Zero
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:52 pm

Jarhead wrote:Now were cookin with butter!
Board size & specifications would help
Units yet to be created/modeled can
Coding problems
A general funk in the grand scheme of the games premise, progression or scope.

Let's show some people what TAOW is about baby!!!

Huge Thanks! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up!

Me and Marc are still discussing the possible units we could use a hand (there are some particular units/models which have been giving the team a hard time).

Jarhead wrote:Snake, you and Marc are the grandpapies of this whole thing and I agree, any unit put into this game should pass both of your guys keen inspection before being added to any file of this gem of a game. You guys have done so much work and done it really, really well from what I can see, honestly I'm proud you guys had the courage to take on something like this. I think this game is what everybody wanted from the start when they bought generals or zerohour, but instead they got toxin tractors and a bunch of other weapons that don't exist. I've only been around for maybe a month and you guys got me sucked into this thing with just what I've seen. Have a contest. Set perameters/scale, maybe give some ideas for people to try and after reviewing the said works choose if you guys want to keep em or not. Reskin'em if necessary. Me I'm goin nuts over here<--printed out worldbuilder tutorial!!! (you guys might just be a bad influence)
I found a guy who might be interested in helping. He's been at Purdue University going on ten years now Math/Computer Science, he's no joke. Give me some mediocre tasks and I'll see if I can't get him to whip something up.
One thing is for sure, when this mod does finally come out there will be alot of people mysteriously missing school!
Tusker2Zero wrote:I agree whole heartedly. fighting smileys

When I bought Generals/Zero Hour I was looking for a realistic modern type of strategic war game, and looking for a great mostly realistic type of mod to go with it that would add many of the modern weapons that ZH left out. Especially, the Navy ships. Being the fact that my mother was in the Navy and my Dad was a Marine, well the Navys in my blood. lol

So, the way this mod sounds, It appears like I've found a new home with this mod.

When it comes time for beta testing, give me a holler. I'd be honored to test it out, and get a head start on making maps for the mod.

This means a lot for the team, I would sincerely like to THANK YOU guys, it's this support that boosts our morale and makes us stand strong Thumbs Up! sunny

Me and Marc usually joke with the fact that we could even write a book about TAOW's history (to tell some of the hilarious insider jokes and trouble which would make a pretty good story Laughing ).
We are both gamers, over the times we feverishly awaited many Zero Hour realistic-based mods to be released, unfortunately, most of them were eventually abandoned or canceled Sad Sad Sad , only few, very very few realistic-based projects managed to be completed (we take them as an inspiration for TAOW).

We consider this mod to be the "spiritual successor" of many of those great projects sunny which were unfortunately canceled.

The Naval Mode is certainly a slippery one, I recall me playing ZH's campaign in the hopes I could use ships a bit longer, unfortunately there was only one mission Evil or Very Mad , I mean, why do not give players what they always wanted? pirat

That's why we decided to include an unique, large scale Naval Mode Cool
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:21 am

Just wanted to say thank you guys again. You guys are making what EA didn't have the common sense to. Everybody's rootin for ya. I'm looking into the Naval based mods to see what I can dig up. Soon I hope to get a hold of a friend of mine from Purdue University (<-- lots of astronauts come from here) he is versed in a ton of different programs. In the mean time any specific problem you are having, let me know and I'll see if I can't help. Rock on!
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

How can I help TAOW get off the ground? Empty I think I figured out how to help :)

Post  Jarhead Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:37 am

http://www.deezire.net/forums/generals-zero-hour-editing/8424-swimming-infantry.html

Enjoy.
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Tusker2Zero Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:45 am

Jarhead wrote:http://www.deezire.net/forums/generals-zero-hour-editing/8424-swimming-infantry.html

Enjoy.
Hey Snake, what a coincidence. Beng (the gentleman I was talking to you about earlier) that had realistic swimming infantry in his mod, is at deezire's site as well. So you might want to PM him there instead of at CNCmaps.com, which has been down for the last few days for some reason.

That worked out well. Thanks for that link Jarhead. I didn't know he was over there.
Tusker2Zero
Tusker2Zero
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:51 am

Anytime.

I think after all I have seen in the past 2 days I could probably start moding LOL! This is crazy!
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:30 pm

Jarhead wrote:Just wanted to say thank you guys again. You guys are making what EA didn't have the common sense to. Everybody's rootin for ya.

Thanks bro Thumbs Up! , EA didn't have enough balls to include more realism and naval missions Evil or Very Mad , we can't let that one go unnoticed Twisted Evil How can I help TAOW get off the ground? 326214 , specially since ZH still haves a looot of unused potential sunny .

Jarhead wrote:I'm looking into the Naval based mods to see what I can dig up.

Huge thanks, any Naval-Interested modeler (modelers which specialize or love to create ships and naval units) would be a great aid for the TAOW Team sunny (even though, ships are being "built" as we speak Twisted Evil ).

Jarhead wrote:Soon I hope to get a hold of a friend of mine from Purdue University (<-- lots of astronauts come from here) he is versed in a ton of different programs. In the mean time any specific problem you are having, let me know and I'll see if I can't help. Rock on!

Wow, you think he's interested in modding? scratch

Once again, huge thanks for creating this thread Thumbs Up! , me and Marc have already spoken and will humbly ask some particular models Embarassed (models which have been giving us a hard time).

Just as we like to say: "The more the help, the merrier!" Cool! , specially since TAOW's technical team is... well.. pretty small and extra backup is always very appreciated on our part.

Jarhead wrote:http://www.deezire.net/forums/generals-zero-hour-editing/8424-swimming-infantry.html

Enjoy.

Interesting, in fact I'd say MOST INTERESTING Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil , thanks for the extremely interesting thread sunny

As I speak I'm starting up a hornets nest about this stuff, Aircraft Carrier, Subs and swimming infantry ZH compatibility may be much better than we had guessed earlier sunny (coding-wise I mean).

Tusker2Zero wrote:

Enjoy.
Hey Snake, what a coincidence. Beng (the gentleman I was talking to you about earlier) that had realistic swimming infantry in his mod, is at deezire's site as well. So you might want to PM him there instead of at CNCmaps.com, which has been down for the last few days for some reason.

That worked out well. Thanks for that link Jarhead. I didn't know he was over there.
lol! It was indeed a funny coincidence, it looks like ZH may be much more "receptive" to the naval mode than we once thought (kinda like the body's response to a new implanted heart, know what I mean? Laughing ).

I'm personally glad to know that swimming infantry, aircraft carriers and even subs compatibility may be much superior than we had once anticipated, this is definitely great news (specially coding-wise) How can I help TAOW get off the ground? 681308 .

Jarhead wrote:Anytime.

I think after all I have seen in the past 2 days I could probably start moding LOL! This is crazy!

lol! lol! lol! Many thanks for the assistance!!! Cool
I'd say that any day is a good day to start modding Thumbs Up!
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:18 am

I've been surfin for like a week now looking for various mods to see what it takes to mod/whats out there, I think I'm starting to understand this whole code/logic thing. drunken To a degree anyways. Wish the programmers would have spent alittle more time on writing Zero Hour but despite its downfalls there is alot of potential there. Always thinking and looking for ideas.
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:25 am

Me and Marc think that the most difficult/boring aspect of Zero Hour's modding is during the coding phase pale pale pale

Turning a great idea into something which can be included in game can be one heck of a task pale
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:24 pm

I hear that, some of the ideas I've heard coupled with what it actually took to code. I'd like to explain how crazy it is but there is no emoticon that takes a painful dump then explodes. Despite this I'm doing my homework, we'll see if I can make something worth wild to put in TAOW then I will take a painful dump/possibly explode.
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:15 pm

I retract my prior statement, there is an emoticon that looks like its takin a painful one then explodes. Sorry about any confusion.
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Tusker2Zero Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:30 pm

free smileys
Tusker2Zero
Tusker2Zero
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:35 pm

Jarhead wrote:I hear that, some of the ideas I've heard coupled with what it actually took to code. I'd like to explain how crazy it is but there is no emoticon that takes a painful dump then explodes. Despite this I'm doing my homework, we'll see if I can make something worth wild to put in TAOW then I will take a painful dump/possibly explode.

lol! I'm afraid that's too true pale

Tusker2Zero wrote:
Jarhead wrote:I retract my prior statement, there is an emoticon that looks like its takin a painful one then explodes. Sorry about any confusion.
free smileys

lol! lol! lol! How can I help TAOW get off the ground? 225471
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:50 am

well, so far I have downloaded and printed tutorial on world builder, all 88 pages of it. Done some piddelfartin around with it, I was kinda wondering if I would be wasting my time making maps (considering world builder is going to be different). I've also been looking more at coding and how people have done certain things, interesting and boring at the same time, but nevertheless key to making good options for the game so I'm chuggin on. I may have found a modeler who is currently working on a flight simulation game, making new air units to play with. Looks pretty damn good but not sure what program he is using. I should be talking to him today so I'll see what I can do. (this whole thing is like eating a double chocolate chip cookie, one nibble at a time! I can hardly stand it!) I'm still looking for a working model of an aircraft carrier but no luck yet. I really wish I had more info on the game itself, otherwise my suggestions are kind of a stab in the dark. I'm glad we found a way to make infantry swim. If not a Mega Update, can we get some info on the game/game play so as to have some kind of direction as to what might work and what might not. Chances at inclusion in the mod team I am sure are about nil. But what good are we doing otherwise? And how can we, the Non exclusive TAOW "members" help?
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next