The Art of War Modification Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P. FileFront

+2
James100
Pyrospastiac
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

R.I.P. FileFront Empty R.I.P. FileFront

Post  Pyrospastiac Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:44 am

has anyone else heard the news? FileFront is closing down!!!
now what of your plans to expand the mod's influence over there!? Sad
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. FileFront Empty Re: R.I.P. FileFront

Post  James100 Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:06 am

Cnc.Reneclips
Yeah, I Heard Of Filefront's Closing, Filefront And Every Sub Filefront (Like Cnc Filefront, Gmb Filefront etc...) Sad

Last edited by James100 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Atomic BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
James100
James100
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Pathfinder Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Wow I've seen this topic on several C&C fourms today.
This is sad.
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Pyrospastiac wrote:has anyone else heard the news? FileFront is closing down!!!

WHAT!!! affraid affraid affraid

You mean, THE Filefront is shutting down?!?!?! No

I just checked the web and I'm shocked, how come such a big site like filefront crumble like that??? affraid There will be a major exodus, I mean Filefront was home to countless players and modders pale

This is bad, really BAD, though we were gonna start an official TAOW Profile over there we always used filefront as our file hosting service for the mod not to mention that we were members for many years, I've been using filefront for so many years and now it's shutting down, hard to believe pale, truly unthinkable R.I.P. FileFront 91353.

Pyrospastiac wrote:now what of your plans to expand the mod's influence over there!? Sad

Our next main objective might be CnC Den.

EDIT
Here's their Farewell Page Shocked :
http://farewell.filefront.com/

Filefront, one of the main modding and gaming sites is shutting down, hard to believe confused, this might be one of the signs of the Apocalypse! R.I.P. FileFront 271617 R.I.P. FileFront 917956

Rest in Peace Filefront, we'll never forget you!

R.I.P. FileFront 1237938642616
Snake
Snake
General of the Army [Administrator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Tusker2Zero Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:19 am

FileFront To Close Shop
Thu - Mar 26, 2009, 11:43 pm [EST] posted by Lion

Community icon
FileFront, one of the largest and longest running game file distributors, will be ceasing operations on March 30, 2009. They have been serving up files for gamers for the past ten years. You can read their brief farewell message HERE.

This closing does affect one of our community websites, CNC Files. JohnWE, the website's admin, is currently working on a plan to rescue all of those game files currently on CNC Files, and start a new website with all of that content. If all goes according to plan, they should be up and running in a few weeks or so.

http://www.cncden.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1238136234&archive=&start_from=&ucat=8&

R.I.P. FileFront Crying-028

I hope this is all some sort of sick April fools joke, or something... It's just a terrible loss of a great resource if it isn't.
Tusker2Zero
Tusker2Zero
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:26 pm

I'm still appalled confused, I mean FileFront, such a massive site which we used daily is actually coming down, truly unbelievable R.I.P. FileFront 91353, I just hope this isn't some kind of domino effect, a lot of gaming sites have been brought down lately since the economic crisis began. FileFront is one of those sites we think would never be brought down like this and definitely at this speed (a matter of days), but after such a colossus is actually brought down I just hope other sites don't fall as well.

This will have a massive impact on countless internet gaming communities, not only was FileFront one of the main and definitely the best high quality mirror provider (high download speeds, no registration, no BS) it was the home page to countless mods and indie games...

FileFront was the main and primary partner of many gaming/modding sites, moddb is a perfect example, FileFront was the main hosting partner and now that it'll be gone Moddb will either have to find another hosting partner or their current server expenses will skyrocket... Shocked

Tusker2Zero wrote:I hope this is all some sort of sick April fools joke, or something... It's just a terrible loss of a great resource if it isn't.

I'm afraid FileFront is really shutting down Sad, even their massive forums were already taken down for some days plus the group which owns/owned filefront (Ziff Davis Inc.) had to cease production of many magazines and shut down other sites prior to filefront... No (check their wikipedia page, Ziff Davis is almost bankrupt affraid).

This is terrible, after March 30 the internet will retrograde, FileFront is like a Concorde plane which is coming out of service Crying or Very sad

R.I.P. FileFront 1238024113183
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:49 pm

if it does cause a domino effect we are so epicly screwed!

...moddb. the last refuge. dunno what im gonna do if it goes too. R.I.P. FileFront 91353
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:33 pm

I don't even want to imagine such a scenario but after FileFront was brought down we know no one, no site is safe from the damn economic crisis No

One of these days I think I might ask a Moddb moderator about how are they going to respond to FF's closure (if they're intending to find another hosting partner to help with file hosting or increase their server capacity), FileFront was Moddb's biggest partner and it was already hosting TAOW in a sense, for a long time:

R.I.P. FileFront Semttulo-4-1

One thing's for sure, when the FileFront Forums were brought down, countless mini mod projects and indie games (which used those forums as their "home") were instantly left homeless and in a sense, were instantly "erased" pale

I hope this situation stops here for now (we already lost too much with FF's departure Crying or Very sad).
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Tusker2Zero Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Snake wrote:I don't even want to imagine such a scenario but after FileFront was brought down we know no one, no site is safe from the damn economic crisis No
Tell me about it. I came within a whisker of being laid off from my job. Thankfully though things are looking a touch better now than they did just a month ago, but we're not out of the woods yet by a long shot. Frakkin' economic crisis.
Tusker2Zero
Tusker2Zero
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Oh my goodness, sorry about it Tusker affraid
And to think that all this trouble started because of a single Goddamn credit company Mad, in the end, even if it seems completely unrelated, the crisis always hits us no matter how unrelated we are to it Mad

I hope things get better as fast as possible Tusker R.I.P. FileFront 743355

I bring some good news on the FileFront "Front" though:

Many ex-FileFront employees, personnel and users are taking matters into their own hands and are backing up sections of FileFront for possible restitution later on sunny, here's a bit of info on FileFront's page on Wikipedia:

As announced March 25, 2009, FileFront site operations will be indefinitely suspended on March 30, 2009. However a massive undertaking by a large number of the former FileFront employees and the network staff to backup all the downloads for the network sites (formerly known as the FilesNetwork) was started just before the announcement in the hopes that they can relaunch the network under a new name without the loss of any of the content.

This is awesome news!!!
A brand new FileFront backup, separated from the big companies and backed up by us, FileFront users R.I.P. FileFront 681308

They are based on this page and are in the need of urgent backup before FileFront is taken down later today, if you guys have the possibility it would be great if you manage to give'em a hand:
http://arloria.net/ircrts/wiki/Main_Page

My damn internet connection is extremely slow so I'm afraid I can't back them up (my download speed is almost null and takes hours to download a few MB's Sad), at the moment fortunately, some of the most used sections were already and are being backed up for possible later use sunny, this means our dear FileFront won't truly die R.I.P. FileFront 681308

Last edited by Snake on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Update:

EA is also helping the lads with the FileFront backup (specially Command & Conquer and Battlefield 2 files!!! sunny).
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Tusker2Zero Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:09 pm

This little tidbit was posted on C&CDen a couple of days ago about CnC-Files.com:

' posted by EA Apoc @ 27 Mar 2009 08:43 pm

Just so everyone knows, I have successfully backed up 41Gb of all their download files and am working to get those to JohnWE and his team. The backup plan is definitely motion. I'll provide any assistance to get their site back up and running, trust me, this is not the end of www.cnc-files.com, if anything, it will be a new beginning in a stronger home.

-APOC '

http://www.cncden.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1238136234&archive=&start_from=&ucat=8&
Tusker2Zero
Tusker2Zero
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:24 pm

Fantastic! sunny

Even though FileFront only haves a few short hours the chances it'll "survive" are definitely increasing R.I.P. FileFront 681308

It's great to know so many gaming communities are working together in order to save as much of FileFront as possible R.I.P. FileFront 72189

Latest word is that a great slice of the most famous games are basically completed and EA is backing up all the files from their EA-related games (it looks like they realize how much impact mods caused in their games).

At this exact moment there's some intense backing up of many FPS games (Operation Flashpoint, Call of Duty, America's Army, Half Life and Half Life 2, Medal of Honor, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Brothers in Arms, etc.).

Many subdomains were already backed up as well sunny
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc15yo [Admin] Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:00 pm

tusker, i suggest you have a backup plan for your job. always be prepared for the worst situations. Thumbs Up!

this is insane. a lot of mods will be affected. especially those that are finished and have ceased progress. no one is there to backup their files. ex: all the legendary Desert Combat mod versions... affraid
Marc15yo [Admin]
Marc15yo [Admin]

https://taow.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc15yo [Admin] Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:02 pm

OMFG!!! operation flahspoint files and mods are directly connected to filefront!!!

OMFG!! were too late!!! all the files have already been deleted from there!!

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/
Marc15yo [Admin]
Marc15yo [Admin]

Back to top Go down

Post  Tusker2Zero Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:12 pm

[img:102b]http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/free-sad-smileys-430[1].gif[/img:102b]
Tusker2Zero
Tusker2Zero
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:41 am

Marc15yo [Admin] wrote:OMFG!!! operation flahspoint files and mods are directly connected to filefront!!!

OMFG!! were too late!!! all the files have already been deleted from there!!

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/

Wha affraid

I hope someone backed'em up pale

At this moment (officially March 31), the main FileFront site is still standing, the forums, etc. were taken out and I'm not sure about all the secondary sites but I think that most of the files were already cleansed Sad.
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:08 pm

Hmm, this is extremely strange, the main FileFront site is still running as of now (almost April's 1st), and I'm starting to suspect this might have been, in fact, an April Day's Joke confused

If they tricked us like that just because of an April Fools Day joke there'll surely be a major $hitstorm by the bulk of the FF database and active users, specially since so many modders almost peed themselves after hearing about FF's suspension (wondering if their projects and mods would survive in the first place) plus it ignited a major and dramatic file salvage/backup operation not to mention the FF Forums which were shut down.

In the next 24 hours we will probably know that either:
- FileFront will shut down;
- FileFront was somehow saved;
- April Day's Joke (which will result in inevitable RAGE Mad)

R.I.P. FileFront 1238460322898

Rumor has it is in fact a joke, many modders I know already said if this is a joke they will permanently leave FileFront and their forums (in case they're reopened) as a protest.
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:50 pm

OMG, in a surprising turn of events, FileFront is NOT closing!, plus it was NOT an April Days Joke.

Ziff Davis Media, the financial group which owned FileFront did intended to shut down their operations but fortunately the original creators of the site bought back the FileFront domain so it WILL CONTINUE TO LIVE!!! R.I.P. FileFront 386875 sunny R.I.P. FileFront 681308

FileFront has been acquired by the original founders of the site and will NOT be suspended as previously announced. This is NOT an April Fool's Joke.

After learning about Ziff Davis Media's plan to shut down FileFront at the end of March, the original founders of FileFront made the decision to buy it back from Ziff Davis Media.

We're happy to announce to the gaming community that as of today, April 1st, 2009, FileFront is a completely independent company again and is no longer part of Ziff Davis Media. All previously suspended services should be active and working again. We thank Ziff Davis Media for their cooperation and willingness to keep the site and community alive.

Due to the very unfortunate timing of this event and related announcements on March 24th and April 1st (April Fool's Day), we'd like to make it perfectly clear that:

1) The March 24th announcement about FileFront shutting down was NOT an early April Fool's joke and Ziff Davis Media had every intention of shutting down FileFront by the end of March.

2) This announcement about the original founders buying back FileFront from Ziff Davis Media is also NOT an April Fool's joke.

3) We're making this announcement on April 1st because the deal was completed today and we want to bring all services back online immediately.

4) We would NEVER shut down FileFront as an April Fool's joke.

5) We are happy to be back!

FileFront has existed in one form or another (originally as FileLeech and Voodoo Extreme's downloads) since 1997. In the last 12 years, FileFront has become the gaming community's most comprehensive and trafficked library hosting millions of files for thousands of games while requiring no registration and providing uncapped download speeds. We look forward to improving FileFront and serving the gaming community for years to come.

Welcome home. Game On!
http://farewell.filefront.com/

Thank goodness! cheers
Once again the modding community has endured a possibly catastrophic hit Rock on!

I'm extremely glad to re announce that our plans to expand The Art of War to FileFront will continue sunny
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Tusker2Zero Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:59 pm

They be back! [img:e523]http://smileyshut.com/smileys/new/free-jumping-smileys-463[1].gif[/img:e523]
Tusker2Zero
Tusker2Zero
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:02 am

THIS THREAD I MADE IS NOW COMPLETLEY OBSOLETE AND UN-NECESSARY AT THE RIPE YOUNG AGE OF 2 PAGES!!!
R.I.P. FileFront 681308 R.I.P. FileFront 662572

wait a minute, now what!? scratch R.I.P. FileFront 934634
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc15yo [Admin] Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:48 pm

YAY!!!!!
Marc15yo [Admin]
Marc15yo [Admin]

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:47 am

i guess snake can just delete this thread now.

either that or i change it from
R.I.P. FileFront
to
R.I.P FileFromt R.I.P Thread.
lol! R.I.P. FileFront 386875
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:31 pm

lol! If you want me to delete this thread just let me know (though in my opinion this might be an interesting thread for possible future FileFront members [who might drop by the forums once we start the new TAOW profile there] to post their opinions about that situation).
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:15 am

fair enough, i guess we should keep it as a slice of memorabilia.

"how did you survive the great FileFront scare of 2009 grandpa?"
"Oh, it was terrible Johnny, everyone was running around screaming NOOOOOO!!! WAT IS THEY DOING 2 TEH FILEFRONTZ!!! I CANT LIVE ON!!! I HATE LIIIIIIIIFFFE!!!! R.I.P. FileFront 917956 "
lol! lol! lol!
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: