The Art of War Modification Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas

+17
Vegantor
Pathfinder
AgustaBE
AceofCombat
Squadleader
F-35 Lightning II
Jarhead
General Psycho
Tusker2Zero
James100
guppy19
Pyrospastiac
Gamerex
Aydynbek
Snake
Matolck
Marc15yo [Admin]
21 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Empty Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas

Post  Marc15yo [Admin] Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Hey guys. You can Post up ideas about Vehicles and Gameplay features You guys Want to See in Our Mod.
Marc15yo [Admin]
Marc15yo [Admin]
General of the Army [Administrator]

https://taow.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Empty Re: Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas

Post  Matolck Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:23 am

Hi Smile
Your units looks cool so it seems like it will be a fun mod to play Smile Congratulations guys Smile
As you ask for the units we would like to see in the game, i have to say that i would be delighted to see the CH-53 Super Stallion instead of the CH-47 Chinook, just because i think that the CH-53 is nicer Smile
For the European Army, a Leclerc tank would be nice as it is the equivalent of the M1 Abrhams Smile
Anyway, that's just wishes Smile
Have a nice day Smile

Matolck
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Empty Re: Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas

Post  Snake Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:23 am

Thanks a lot bro!!! 8) .
Good news!!! Very Happy The CH-53 Super Stallion is gonna be included Very Happy in the mod!!! 8)
About the Leclerc tank, there is a big chance it will enter the mod too (we are including some very cool "special features"), but i can't be 100% sure at this time scratch .
We will have another update very very soon.
Thanks a lot man, have a nice day too!!! lol!
Keep y'all opinions coming, they are very important to us Very Happy .
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Matolck Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Yea that's really good news, thanks guys Very Happy Well the down side of this is that it will be harder to wait to play with this mod Razz

Well if you wants other ideas, the US spy drone may be changed for an E2C Hawkeye or an awacs, the Su-27 would be a nice multipurpose airplane for the Russian as the Smerch 9k58 would a great rocket launcher for them, for the europeans the french Panhard ligh shielded vehicule would be like an european humvee and it's nice looking (see here http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9hicule_blind%C3%A9_l%C3%A9ger).

Well it's all the ideas i have for now, but when i saw your unit list for america i have no doubt that you have already found really nice units for the two other sides Very Happy

Have a nice day guys Smile

Matolck
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc15yo [Admin] Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:26 pm

thanks man. Reguarding the units. We are still in planning for the Other Factions. That's why we ask people which units they want to see so we get to the decide a complete unit list. then we model them. 8) and welcome to the forums feel free to post whenever you want. and don't be afraid to start new topics
Marc15yo [Admin]
Marc15yo [Admin]

Back to top Go down

Post  Aydynbek Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi guys I am new to this wonderful forum, and I wanted to know your infantry concept. Will they be effective in the game, or just like in Zero Hour, doing nothing really good but dying by tanks. Also will you include variety of infantry types or just like in Zero Hour, only few.

Aydynbek
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:14 pm

Hi there Very Happy (i've just read your PM in moddb, thanks a lot bro sunny ), welcome to our forums cheers .

Yup, we are including many infantry classes in TAOW, and they will finally be effective (you better watch out, sneaky tanks Laughing ).
Tanks can kill infantry real quick (just like real life) IF infantry isn't properly used (like sending a human mass against a battalion of tanks...not a good idea at all... pale ).
But we are adding many new features (can't reveal them yet, sorry Very Happy ), that will make infantry one of the most IF not THE most effective class in TAOW (of course we are not gonna add any Rambo's Laughing ).
When completed, TAOW will be something REALLY BIG.
We are gonna add so many new features and stuff (while keeping reality), that you will be like: WOW Shocked
lol! lol! lol!
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Empty Couple o' ideas

Post  Gamerex Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:52 pm

An cargo plane that can transport troops to paradrop them, and to paradrop supplies that can heal, or even paradrop DPV's Wink And a specialized version of it that performs a HALO/HAHO drop. Only special forces can perform this(Rangers, Special Operations, Marines, Royal Marines, SEAL's, Russian Airborne troops Etc.)

Brits have a more accurate/long range sniper(L115A1), we have a shoter range sniper with a .50 M82, and the Russians have a sniper that has a faster rate of fire. I guess it depends on what kind of rifle the Russians have. Maybe a 7.62 Tkiv 85?? Also, snipers reveal their position for have a second if they fire, because they're designed for long-range engagement.

And our famous Pradator drone, a recon vehicle that has 4 (Now VERY powerful) hellfire missles. Spots stealth and is stealthed, needs to go to airstrip to refuel and rearm.

Russians have a stalker, a sniper(Improper use of term) that has a shorter range, silenced rifle that can move and shoot without revealing himself.

Brits have slightly weaker conventional soilders due to their ineffcient L85 weapons. Americans have a slightly slower rate of fire due to their three-shot configeration. Russians have a slightly longer range.

An American Special Operations General, having overall better Recon units, better insertion/extraction teqniques, elite soilders on training, longer build times/expensiveness for tanks, lower build times and vetran pilots for aircraft. Special Green berets that can set booby traps or set strong C4's/ Claymores, silenced pistol that can be equipped, and a some SLAM's that take less time to set. Snipers get a radio jammer that prevents him from being spotted with recon vehicles?

Gamerex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc15yo [Admin] Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:24 am

there is alot of things u may not know about taow. try using our team members section and loo kthru, it should refresh ur memory alot. 1st off we no longer "build" units. your "order" them and maintain them. there is alot of work put into it.
Marc15yo [Admin]
Marc15yo [Admin]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:08 pm

The next TAOW document will release all details about those new additions.
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Empty hind = gooowwwwd

Post  Pyrospastiac Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:32 pm

the mi-24 hind is one of my all-time favorites in my long line of beloved attack helis but unfortunatley as we all know, it is getting on with age Crying or Very sad . but that doesnt mean that there is no room on the modern day battlefield for it next the big bad havoc, and ka-52 alligator (or ka-50 blackshark. personally i think there should be and upgrade much like that for the AAVP7A1 to the EFV, that doesnt replace currently existing ka-50s, but makes all later ordered ones ka-52s).

we all know that the AH-1Z leads very far back to the AH-1, it just gets frequently upgraded. i feel that you guys can still put in a big baddass hind so long as you heavilly retro-fit it with the latest tracking and weapons systems. and so the russians dont get a clutter of different helis to chose from, they should be devided into the russian sub-factions like the AH-1Z, and AH-64D.

hope to get some feedback, pyro. 8)
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc15yo [Admin] Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:41 am

Yeah, we all love the Hind. That's another reason why we are including it. There are many varients of it too so we are making sure we use the latest and most advanced one.

check the unit list
Marc15yo [Admin]
Marc15yo [Admin]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:55 am

TAOW without an Hind is like a day without sun or a bread without butter, and, more lately, the 8'o clock news without new developments on the US Presidential Campaigns Laughing

Everyone loves the Hind, and we are no exception Smile

Our particular Hind variant is the Mi-24PN, the latest upgrade that the Russian military selected to do to their older Mi-24's.
The Mi-24PN will be the primary attack helicopter on the next years (and they plan to eventually replace all older Mi-24 variants).
One thing is for certain though, the Mi-24 will remain in service for a long time.

The Mi-24PN:

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Mi-24PN-1-1

By the way, here's the link to the unit list (note that it'll be updated as time goes by, the US side is practically complete though):
https://taow.forumotion.com/member-s-access-f5/the-art-of-war-vehicle-table-t122.htm

Although many people are not aware of it, current armaments usually go way back, let's take for example the Browning .50 Caliber Machine Gun.
That weapon is still a favorite on most NATO (and many non-NATO) forces and it first entered service in 1921 Shocked , yet it was modified (M2HB) and it's still the main machine gun on many armies and a favorite of many soldiers.
Many vehicles are constantly updated to look their best on modern battlefields, the Huey, Cobra, Hind are some great examples.

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas M2
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:54 pm

good to hear, i actually found the unit list and the hind on it just afew minutes after i made the post Razz

although i didn't see the ka-50 or ka-52 which i was talking about earlier. are you planning on including it later? or do you feel that it's irrelavant to the common battlefield seeing as there is only about 10 ka-52s in existance?
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:24 pm

lol!
Well, the lists for the European Union and Russia are quite incomplete at the moment, as we prepare more stuff for release we'll be updating that table.

The US Military list is practically complete (though we might add a vehicle here and there in case we want to include it), with the exception of the Navy which is "being assembled" 8) Razz (Big Time).

About the Ka-50/Ka-52, we will update on them a bit later (a 'Kamov Update' perhaps? Smile ), but we, like everyone else, also love those Kamovs Laughing , as of this moment I can say that there will be several Mi-17 variants though.

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Mi-17

The European Union will be the largest faction in terms of different units (different models), there are gonna be a LOT of extra vehicles and a great variety.
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Empty wow

Post  Pyrospastiac Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 am

wow, i never knew that the mi-8 got upgraded to the mi-8M/mi-17. i was only familliar with the the mi-8 variants such as the the mi-8 hip-C, which i think is the four rocket pod version, but apparently there's one of those in this linup called the mi-8MTV-3. (long live wiki Wink )
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:40 pm

lol! yup, the Mi-17 is basically a very upgraded version of the Mi-8 (Mi-8M) because it was a specially upgraded version of the Mi-8 (and therefore it "deserved" its own separate designation), also many companies are sneaky and like to "update" vehicle/weapon names in hopes that the government will eventually adopt them.

It's also extremely common that companies create a new name for civilian versions of vehicles and light weapons (since they can't obviously have the military features their military counterparts possess, under normal circumstances though).
There are also a lot of weapons produced for export ("export" variants (there are Civilian and Military "Export" versions alike)).

Take for example some specific variants of the M-16 rifle 'family', producers would sometimes "create" new 'A' version (for example M16A3, M4A2, M4A3) in hopes they replace older weapons in service (the ones with 'older' designations, M16A2, M4A1, etc.)

Also note that many weapons might get new designations when adopted by different countries, for example:

The HK G3 assault rifle is a perfect example.

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas G3a3

- G3: Original Version;
- G3A3A1: official German Army designation of the G3A3 (with smaller improvements);
- m/963: Military designation of Portuguese Army's G3A3's;
- G3KA4A1: German Army designation of the G3KA4 with some improvements;
- HK41: semi-automatic version of the G3 for civilian market.

The list goes on (those designations are the tip of the iceberg), there are many other popularly known examples:

- M9 Pistol: The name which the US Military adopted the Beretta 92F/FS pistol.

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Beretta_m9_02

- M249 SAW ('born' from the Belgium FN Minimi "family" of light machine guns and adopted by the US Military as the M249):

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas M249

- One of the most 'popularly confusing' weapon designations, the SA80 "family of firearms":

SA80 (Small Arms for the 1980s) = Factory Weapon Name/Designation
L85 = British Armed Forces military designation of the SA80 (they adopted the SA80 under the 'L85' name)

British soldier using a L85A2 (aka SA80A2):
Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Sa80-l85a2_ubgl

Some curiosities:

The widely known Russian T-90 was actually (initially) a T-72 tank (T-72BU) but it's designation was changed given the poor image the T-72 had in many notorious conflicts (specially the Middle East and Chechnya, even though Russian T-72's are superior to other T-72's around the world).

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas T-90-1-1

The Australian Army adopted the Steyr AUG A1 as the F88 Austeyr/AuSteyr (with some slight modifications).

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas F88-M203-1

There are maaany other F88 variants in service in the Australian Army.

The Australian Army adopted the FN Minimi under the designation F89 (the US adopted it as the M249).

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas F89
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:20 pm

Shocked...
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:48 pm

lol!lol! I'm a military guy, and, as you have just seen, I love to make 'complete' (aka HUGE) posts Razz Razz Razz
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:08 pm

By the way, the next mod update is gonna be big, really, REALLY BIG

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas Mr-burns-wallpaper-772331-1

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc15yo [Admin] Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 pm

damn that's a big picture lol

man, it actually makes more sense. i was always wondering why there was so many names for a single weapon. especially the g-36.
Marc15yo [Admin]
Marc15yo [Admin]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:45 pm

lol!

Yeah, there are many reasons to change a designation of a weapon, be it for just a way to commercialize it (M16A3, M4A2, M4A3), to start a new "family" of weapons, to keep up with country traditions and current use weapons (such as those weapons which names were changed when adopted by military), by registering weapon names, etc.
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc15yo [Admin] Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:01 pm

aah, makes sense. but sometimes i wonder, why such a tactical name.
Marc15yo [Admin]
Marc15yo [Admin]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:13 pm

Yeah, and in the latest years it was sort of a new "trend" to create new designations, weapon producers want to register their weapons right away (there were some big court cases in these last years, like the "M4" cases, where Colt Armaments tried to sue some weapon producers which were using the "M4" designation (Bushmaster for example).

A big case was the one of the HK M4, which eventually ended when HK decided to change the name to HK416.
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc15yo [Admin] Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:22 pm

ahh, wow even weapon companies got their problems
Marc15yo [Admin]
Marc15yo [Admin]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next