The Art of War Modification Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas

+17
Vegantor
Pathfinder
AgustaBE
AceofCombat
Squadleader
F-35 Lightning II
Jarhead
General Psycho
Tusker2Zero
James100
guppy19
Pyrospastiac
Gamerex
Aydynbek
Snake
Matolck
Marc15yo [Admin]
21 posters

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas - Page 6 Empty Re: Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas

Post  Squadleader Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:49 am

ahhh cool:DD: but were is the differnet??

Squadleader
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas - Page 6 Empty Re: Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas

Post  Jarhead Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Did you guys know an EFVP1 Can carry up to 17 armed Marines? Have you guys thought about modding the control bar for such instances?
Like you notice there is a map in zerohour with a mansion/castle look to it (its huge) can hold like 30 guys in it in the game. But when you go and click on it to get your guys out, the game crashes. Are you guys sticking to reality?
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  James100 Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Duuuuuuuude Come On
We've Got Class Laughing
James100
James100
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Tusker2Zero Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Jarhead wrote:Did you guys know an EFVP1 Can carry up to 17 armed Marines? Have you guys thought about modding the control bar for such instances?
Like you notice there is a map in zerohour with a mansion/castle look to it (its huge) can hold like 30 guys in it in the game. But when you go and click on it to get your guys out, the game crashes. Are you guys sticking to reality?
Yes. I've also heard this from many other times as well. I love the castle, but I never go garrisioning it beyond 12 soldiers. If it's at all possible for a modder to fix, I'd love to see it fixed. If it can't be fixed then I'd like to see the castle's slots be reduced to 12 to 14, or something just before the crash limit.
Tusker2Zero
Tusker2Zero
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:50 am

Jarhead wrote:Did you guys know an EFVP1 Can carry up to 17 armed Marines? Have you guys thought about modding the control bar for such instances?

Yeah, there are certain vehicles which will be able to carry much more infantry, if a vehicle can carry so many units that can't be shown on the standard bar, then on that case we'll have a sort of a control bar "button" which the player can press in order to watch all the infantry which is in the vehicle.

We mustn't forget that this will change in a sense because TAOW's infantry is Squad controlled (we'll make some changes to "accommodate" that).

Tusker2Zero wrote:
Yes. I've also heard this from many other times as well. I love the castle, but I never go garrisioning it beyond 12 soldiers. If it's at all possible for a modder to fix, I'd love to see it fixed. If it can't be fixed then I'd like to see the castle's slots be reduced to 12 to 14, or something just before the crash limit.

Yeah, if we are able to fix that crash issue then it'll be able to garrison several infantry squads, then again, if there's absolutely no way of fixing it, then we have to stick to the possible limits (to create a sort of a "balance"), hopefully that can be probably fixed sunny
Snake
Snake
General of the Army [Administrator]

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:17 am

Seems to me that the Mob couldn't garrison anything, hope it works.
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:31 am

Yup, when Marc fist proposed the formation of squads (the "separation" from the singular unit concept), one of the very fist issues was how to garrison buildings and vehicles, fortunately, he managed to create a sort of a special logic which will enable squads to do so (kinda difficult to explain).

The creation of that very logic solved countless possible problems which would eventually arise with the garrison system.
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Squadleader Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:38 pm

do soldier wlak around the carrier and if a plane starts then a soldier make the signs with the things there (i dont know how they named:D:D:D

Squadleader
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Very Happy Nope, it would be basically impossible to realistically include that on Zero Hour (due to certain limitations).
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:06 pm

Way to go Marc!
But does "Mob" logic negate the "X" button's function?(disperse)
Does this also mean that a sniper team will not be able to "garrison" certain trees?"
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:54 am

But does "Mob" logic negate the "X" button's function?(disperse)

The Mob logic is being kinda "pimped" in order to automatically disperse the soldiers Laughing (on a certain distance though).

Does this also mean that a sniper team will not be able to "garrison" certain trees?"

I'd say it would be very difficult to do so, specially since snipers will be a two-men team (Spotter + Shooter) opposed to the single unit in ZH.
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Squadleader Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:19 pm

hmmmm:D:D:D

u know code name panzers??

if u get in a hosue there u can see the flat

is it able in ur mod??

Squadleader
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 pm

You mean, a tank rushing in through a house? scratch
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Not that everybody dosen't already have a lot on their plate, but while watching the inauguration of the President of the U.S.. I couldn't help but notice that his cadillac is bad ass. I don't mean kinda bad ass I mean like could probably take a rocket bad ass. So what I am proposing, and I hope someone is taking notes out there is the presidential limosine for possiable mission modes. Nothing integral at this point but something to be considered down the road.
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Interesting scratch , it could probably be an interesting cameo (and who knows, probably appear during the campaign).
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:58 pm

lol, pretty heavy mission objective.
"protect Obama from the russians or else you're so screwed"
oh great, so much for change, he's pretty much boned. Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas - Page 6 759681
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Squadleader Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:23 am

no i mean if soldiers get in a house that u cann see them if they walk in the house u know?Very Happy:D

Squadleader
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:52 am

Pyrospastiac wrote:lol, pretty heavy mission objective.
"protect Obama from the russians or else you're so screwed"
oh great, so much for change, he's pretty much boned. Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas - Page 6 759681

lol! lol! lol! Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas - Page 6 326214 Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas - Page 6 338179

Squadleader wrote:no i mean if soldiers get in a house that u cann see them if they walk in the house u know?Very Happy:D

Unfortunately the Zero Hour logic does not allow us to to it Sad (we will try some of our concepts to try to add some extra realism to that though Very Happy ).
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:52 am

I am suprised someone didn't pick him off, there are a lot of crazy people in the south. Before the inaugeration they were talking about all the armor that thing has and how its air tight and has a built in fire system. First thing I thought was TAOW.

About garrisoned buildings, personally I hate the fact that you can tell when there is someone in a building. If I were to garrison a building I sure as hell wouldn't board up the windows and put a flag on top! Cities are tough to move trough safely in real life, no warning signs just all hell breaking loose out of nowhere. I don't see why TAOW should be any different.
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Jarhead wrote:I am suprised someone didn't pick him off, there are a lot of crazy people in the south. Before the inaugeration they were talking about all the armor that thing has and how its air tight and has a built in fire system. First thing I thought was TAOW.

The Secret Service haves one heck of a duty, we may not watch it on the TV, but they have countless defenses and have many plans in case "things go wrong" (the same goes to their vehicles, specially the Presidential Limo).

Many of those Secret Service Agents (specially the ones closer to the Presindent) are ex spec ops so they are immensely trained to act on any kind of situation.

Jarhead wrote:About garrisoned buildings, personally I hate the fact that you can tell when there is someone in a building. If I were to garrison a building I sure as hell wouldn't board up the windows and put a flag on top! Cities are tough to move trough safely in real life, no warning signs just all hell breaking loose out of nowhere. I don't see why TAOW should be any different.

Completely agreed, I personally think that the fact that garrisoned buildings in ZH change appearance like they do is ludicrous to say the least (I mean, they might as well paint a bullseye on the soldiers foreheads). Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas - Page 6 225471

In TAOW, buildings will obviously remain exactly the same both when garrisoned or empty (no more flags and colors and "mysterious barricades").
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 pm

but when units garrisoned in buildings get detected will not be an easy task. alot of mods try to choose one time that they become spotted (usually before or after they've fired) but i think it requires more depth than that.
for instances a large squad would probably be spotted right away, you'd see their men in the windows.
a smaller anti-tank crew would be seen after they fire, the enemy just traces the massive smoke trail of the rocket back to the right building and boom.
but a sniper team, would not be visible before firing, and probably not after firing either. the only way to spot them is to scan the building for heat signatures.
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 am

I've been trying to work out how FLIR might work in the game (started thinking about it for the apache) but it kinda kills the whole prone stealth thing. As I always say when something is to good to be true, put it really high on the tech tree. Until you reach that level, do yourself a favor and don't send masses of troops towards towns/cities. Unless they are crawling on their bellies or have a nice layer of smoke to keep them from sight.
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:48 am

I've been trying to work out a system where lower troops from different branches have skills unique to their unit type. Each offering something different and useful in its own way. It seems to me that if you move up the tech tree, some of the "lower" units skills should be passed on to the Spec Ops of their branch. Still leaving the lowly soldier a unique benefit, while also passing on some ability(s) to higher operators. The farther up the tree you go the less likely you are to have to use the simple soldier. But you can never absolutely do with out them. Only that by combinding certain skills this also helps with the micro management side of things.

I have two questions, 1. How many upgrades can you really give a single infantry unit. 2. What are the different ways that can be coded in which a unit can be "upgraded." (and of course C. Is everything going to be done in the generals promotion window?)
Jarhead
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:08 pm

Pyrospastiac wrote:but when units garrisoned in buildings get detected will not be an easy task. alot of mods try to choose one time that they become spotted (usually before or after they've fired) but i think it requires more depth than that.
for instances a large squad would probably be spotted right away, you'd see their men in the windows.
a smaller anti-tank crew would be seen after they fire, the enemy just traces the massive smoke trail of the rocket back to the right building and boom.
but a sniper team, would not be visible before firing, and probably not after firing either. the only way to spot them is to scan the building for heat signatures.

Yeah that is because ZH haves some very basic coding complications when it comes to garrisoning buildings. Hopefully, me and Marc will create something BIG to remedy this Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

We will try to create more interactive buildings to certain levels (highly experimental idea, but I can assure you it'll completely rock if we manage to do it Rock on! ).

Jarhead wrote:I've been trying to work out how FLIR might work in the game (started thinking about it for the apache) but it kinda kills the whole prone stealth thing. As I always say when something is to good to be true, put it really high on the tech tree. Until you reach that level, do yourself a favor and don't send masses of troops towards towns/cities. Unless they are crawling on their bellies or have a nice layer of smoke to keep them from sight.

Too true Thumbs Up!, fortunately the FLIR will act on the helicopter aiming and even (gunship/aerial) team combat levels Twisted Evil.

Jarhead wrote:I've been trying to work out a system where lower troops from different branches have skills unique to their unit type. Each offering something different and useful in its own way. It seems to me that if you move up the tech tree, some of the "lower" units skills should be passed on to the Spec Ops of their branch. Still leaving the lowly soldier a unique benefit, while also passing on some ability(s) to higher operators. The farther up the tree you go the less likely you are to have to use the simple soldier. But you can never absolutely do with out them. Only that by combinding certain skills this also helps with the micro management side of things.

Certainly, the general infantry will be the core of the army and as the battle progresses, players will be able to upgrade their soldiers into much higher levels (Future Soldier perhaps? scratch ), so even with special forces, the player will most likely want to always have a strong infantry component, specially since infantry will be vital to assist vehicles such as tanks.

Jarhead wrote:I have two questions, 1. How many upgrades can you really give a single infantry unit. 2. What are the different ways that can be coded in which a unit can be "upgraded." (and of course C. Is everything going to be done in the generals promotion window?)

1 - The number of upgrades for an individual unit can be considered to be high, however, there is a certain total limit of upgrades in general (we won't be able to generally include more upgrades once we reach the max capacity limit so we have to be careful on how many upgrades we include and make sure we distribute them accordingly).

2 - That really depends on the unit, better ask that on the C&C Modding section though, Marc can explain that much better than I can (he's an expert on the upgrade logic).

3 - Much of it will, specially via standard ranking and specialized unit unlocking (which is influenced by the standard ranking).
Snake
Snake

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:29 pm

interactive as in one of your units pokes the building with a stick and it eats him??? scratch Discussion: GamePlay and Units Ideas - Page 6 934634
OM NOM NOM NOM!!! lol!
Pyrospastiac
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next